Friday 26 April 2013

Sudden Prose Reprints: Lucy Hamilton's "The Compulsion"





The Compulsion

To emerge from my hideout and stagger to the mirror. To face the stranger in my face. Who is she in the white of her face, like the white of Robert Wyman’s Twin? Is it this white that fills the stalker’s dreams and fuels his nightly propulsion to the one-way mirror? The reflection is distorted. If I break the mirror I’m done for.


 Lucy Hamilton




"The Compulsion" comes from Lucy Hamilton's Stalker (Shearsman, 2012),  shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Best First Collection. More information as well as multiple purchasing options are available on the publisher's website.

3 comments:

Susie said...

Felt that powerful jolt of recognition that comes when a poem 'nails it!' Hope to read more by the poet. Thanks for introducing me to her work.
Susie

Susie said...

Felt that jolt of recognition when a poem really 'nails it' ! Want to read more by the poet. Thanks Carrie for introducing me to her work.

Hannah said...

This is beautiful; almost chilling. I have recently started writing prose poetry but have a lot to learn still. Here is my first piece. Thank you again for your beautiful writing.